Pages

Saturday 18 July 2009

The Dark Hedges



Here is your Scenic Sunday image.

I was away all last week up on the Antrim Coast with fellow Viewpoints photographer Peter Cox. We had a very productive and enjoyable time. Mind you it was hard work getting up at 4 in the morning and not getting back to the B&B until around 11 that night. I shoot in black and white ( that's if you didn't know already) while Peter is a Colour man and mainly during the hours before and after Sunrise/Sunset. It will be very interesting to see the different style of image the two of us will produce. So to keep a track jump over to Peter's website HERE but don't forget to come back and try not to be seduced by that colour stuff.

What we have here is a very interesting tree lined road in a place called Chathamhall near the village of Stranocum, Co Antrim. It's an amazing sight to see and it's not taken out of some fantasy novel. Many other photographers have taken this very image before and I do believe Peter has this very image (in colour) on his website.

This was the very last image I took on this trip to the Antrim Coast. You will be able to see some more image including Fair Head, Colliery Bay, Ballintoy, Elephant Rock ( you will understand the name when you see the image), Port Moon, Dunlace Castle just to name a few. I have not had the time to process all my image yet, sorry any of the image bar this one as it's been not stop on the commercial photography side of things ( happy days ).

So see you all next week with more from Antrim.

15 comments:

  1. Your black & white photo is stunning. It's so good it looks like you've gone and drawn a place of fantasy. You could so easily get lost here. Beautiful work. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work - I think the choice of black & white gives this scene a sense of foreboding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this place before!! I agree with Baruch, it could turn quite creepy. Really looking forward to your other north Antrim pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil -
    Scary! Looks like you had somewhat similar light to mine. Almost identical composition, too.

    Very interesting treatment, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an incredible photo.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...so amazing. How did you capture it without hundreds of others trying to shoot the same scene? Unbelievable. I have to go there! That is my kind of road...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great image, and it does kind of look spooky. Glad you had a great time on the Antrim Coast, hope to see more of your photos from the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the advice - I'd already chopped the sky in half which was an improvement, so I never thought of cropping it even more. It looks so much better. I always struggle with skies - I'm planning to buy a graduated filter, but it'll have to wait til September/October :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic scene - I hopped over to Mr. Cox's page & viewed the color version - I think the b&w is a scarier version, but beautiful, just the same! Beautiful photo

    Have a wonderful Scenic Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a fantastic image. It looks like something you'd expect to see in the Fangorn Forrest. I assume the layers of light are natural?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa, I love this, its like the path to some magical land.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing photograph - no fantastic! i am assuming that the light is coming from well hidden streetlamps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comments.
    No Rob, this is all natural light taken on a country road in the middle of nowhere at 11:30 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete