Pages

Saturday 6 March 2010

Brittas Bay Sunrise


We have done a u-turn here and gone south down the Wicklow coast to Brittas Bay for an early morning sunrise. It didn't look like it was going to be any good. We had a big empty beach to play with and some small sand dunes. Instead of pointing the camera into the sunrise to the east I decided that turning and looking north along the beach and use the rising sun to side-light the foreground interest. We started to get some lovely cloud formations which added interest to the sky.
I don't know what happened but my batteries started to loose power very quickly and had to take a couple of images then remove the battery and place it inside my clothing. Just leave it a that and say nothing more on the subject as to the position of the battery. I had a spare backup battery in the car to continue on shooting that day. I presume it was the cold that was effecting the performance of the batteries.
We decided to head back to the house used as our base ( thanks Gavin's Mum & Dad ) and get a complete charge to my dying batteries. Also a good time to get breakfast. A hot coffee and a Full Irish Breakfast Roll down by the harbor. This will bring us nicely onto the final images to be posted during the coming days.

The Monochrome Weekend and many more can be found here .


5 comments:

  1. Captivating image. I very much like the narrative of how you got the shot. And I admire your commitment to publishing your photos «au natural». You've set a difficult standard for yourself yet your results are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a fantastic shot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, this shot is excellent, and in black and white, it works so well. Very dramatic.Love that sky! I've been there with the batteries...makes me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this excellent tip, look for side lighting during a sunset or sunrise for that matter.

    Camera batteries hate the cold. I've learned when out shooting when the temp is well below freezing, keep a spare battery in your pocket. I also learned the hard way when shooting in this weather to leave the camera in the bag overnight. This will keep the lenses and camera insides from fogging with condensation. Not good. The plus side is the sensor loves the cold.

    ReplyDelete